Golf During COVID – Stay Home or Play?
Our office phones are lit up with questions about playing golf during this extraordinary time. Our California leaders have told us to stay home, yet Placer County leaders decided to allow golf courses to stay open, as long as we all observe the rules of social distancing. “Golf courses and outdoor shooting and archery ranges may remain open if they follow guidance provided by the Health Officer available at: placer.ca.gov/coronavirus/guidance.”
We published this post on April 24, 2020, to answer some of your questions. Please contact us for additional information.
Q: Is the Sierra View Country Club golf course open?
A: Yes. The golf course at Sierra View Country Club is open to its members. The restaurant is open for takeout. Check out the details of our special preview membership offering here. Guests who are serious about becoming a member of Sierra View Country Club and want to evaluate the course for themselves can play a trial nine or eighteen holes. Use this form to contact us.
Q: What precautions will you take to help me feel comfortable while playing golf?
A: These are our policies for the duration of COVID-19 restrictions:
- We limit cart ridership to one passenger in each cart
- We mandate 6 feet of separation between people
- We removed all rakes from bunkers
- On the green, we’ve inserted a device to assist in removing the ball from the cup
- Flags on the greens must be left in the hole, untouched
- We sanitize all equipment on a continual basis.
- We space players 6 feet apart on the driving range
- Members use our pass-through window to order drinks and food without coming in contact with staff
- We turned off access to water for players (bring your own water)
- We covered all ball washers
- We removed all outdoor patio furniture
Q: Public golf courses are open, too. Why would I join a private golf course instead?
A: This is an excellent question. We asked some of our members and here is what they told us:
- At a private golf club, you’re a member of a family – a finite number of people, all equally dedicated to compliance and protecting their health and yours.
- Even though you may feel you have a lot of time on your hands, you’ll be on the golf course a shorter amount of time than at a public course, due to faster play.
- Private golf clubs have a cap on memberships. It’s more likely you’ll get a tee time, because private courses limit the number of people who compete for tee times. There is big demand right now from people who were casual golfers, seeking the exercise and the enjoyment.
- “Unlimited Golf” means just that at a private golf club. Right now, many people have unlimited time for the first time in their career. Take advantage of the time you have now.
- Leave your wallet at home. At a private club, there is no exchange of currency or credit cards.
- Communications – as a member you’ll get immediate email or text notifications of any pertinent health news in Placer County as it relates to golf.
You can call us right now and speak with Mark Harris
Sierra View Membership Director
916-783-4600 Ext 21